Stuffed Eggplant | Indian Food | Vegan Recipe | Deliciousfooddude



Hey, 

I hope you all are doing well and today's recipe is something that involves a vegetable that has been underestimated by a lot of people, including myself. Growing up I wasn't a big fan, when it was cooked I would just eat it because there was nothing else cooked at home. 

With time, everything evolves and my love for trying different things which involved vegetables has grown so much ever since I switched to a vegan-based diet. There is a lot of curiosity when it comes to cooking, I tend to mix and match flavours, try different combinations. Eggplant at my place was cooked 2 ways either fried, sprinkled with red chilli powder or smoked eggplant mash. So this was something new for me. The Indian name of this dish is Bharwa Baingan.

List of Ingredients
8-10 Baby Eggplants
Onions
Tomato
2-3 Green Chillies
Handful of Peanuts
Fennel seeds
Coriander seeds
Jeera
Ajwain
Asafoetida
Jaggery powder

Cooking Process

First up, slit the eggplant and keep them in salted water for an hour. Coming to the stuffing. For that in a mixer, add the onions roughly chopped, coriander leaves, 2-3 green chillies split, a handful of peanuts, half a teaspoon of fennel seeds, half a teaspoon coriander seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, tomatoes roughly chopped, half teaspoon of jeera, a pinch ajwain, one teaspoon of jaggery powder and salt to taste. No water was used. Stuff the eggplant with this mixture.

Heat some oil in a wok, add the stuffed Eggplant to it and keep the flame on high for the first 3-5 mins, stir them a bit, cover them and cook them on dum. It will take about 20-25 mins and in between stir it and add a sprinkling of water so that the stuffing doesn't burn. Once done you can serve it roti or just enjoy it like that. 

Like always if you have any questions regarding the recipe you can ask them in the comments or reach me on Instagram, my handle is @deliciousfooddude

It's not only with Eggplant that you can try this, i used the same stuffing in a previous recipe wherein i used Bitter Gourd. Check out the recipe here. 

 
Till then stay safe, stay positive and I'll be back with more simple homemade recipes. 

Comments