Soya Chunks Manchurian - Simple Vegan Recipe

Soya Chunk Manchurian


I know it's been a long time since I posted here and sincere apologies for that but I have had a lot of sorting out to be done. Now as the title of this recipe goes it's something which I really really love since my childhood. 


A little back story coming up now. So, when I was a kid there was this thing at my place that we won't eat meat on certain days which is a very very common thing here in India. If you look back at this practice it worked out pretty well, that's why I am comfortable with being a vegan now. Yes, I turned vegan around 2 years back and it has been the best decision that I've ever made.

Growing up, every Thursday the menu at my place would be the simple veg, with a dal, roti or rice but then there would be a surprise where my mom would be like I've made something which will taste like meat but it isn't meat and I would be like huh? Being the confused boy I would just eat without complaining because it tasted like meat and that also on a Thursday when we were not supposed to eat meat, it was a win-win situation in my book. That magic ingredient was Soya Chunks. 

She would make it just like a simple meat-based curry and it would be served with rice and that the dominant version which was made at home but then with time, one starts to experiment and sometimes you cook a gem and it is seen as a welcome change. This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite chef's Sanjeev Kapoor. As a kid I would just be glued to the TV watching his show 'Khaana Khazanaa' on Zee Tv, then I would watch cookery shows because food was, is and will always remain my first love.

Now coming to the recipe

Here is what you will need

Soya Chunks
Cornflour
Soy Sauce
Chilli Sauce
Onions
Capsicum
Carrots

The Process

Soak the soya chunks for at least 30 mins and wash them thoroughly. Next, boil them for like 10 mins with some salt then strain them, cool them and remove the excess water by squeezing the chunks. 

Now add some maida, cornflour with ginger and garlic paste, some salt pepper, soya sauce, chili sauce to the soya chunks and keep it aside. For 10 mins. Then fry them. Keep them aside. 

For the sauce heat some olive oil or your choice of oil. add very finely cut onion along with that add ginger garlic sauteed them mildly to get the flavor and then add the veggies. Add the sauces of your choice and to them add the chunks. Stir them and finally add cornflour slurry and give it a stir and you are done.

Like always i will be posting more recipes and if you have any questions regarding the recipe please be free to ask me in the comments section or you could message me on Instagram my handle is @deliciousfooddude

Comments