Sai Bhaji - A Sindhi Delicacy Of Lentils & Spinach

Sindhi Sai Bhaji

Hey,
I know it's been a long time since I last posted so firstly I apologize for that. I hope everyone has been doing well. As I told you in the last blog that most of my food memories are connected to my childhood and this #Sindhi delicacy is something I would just gobble up because it's that yummy. 

While I was a kid I remember my grandmother, feeding me this and it was usually served with Bhuga Chawal which translates to burnt onion rice and some fried potatoes tossed in red chili powder. Trust me one bite would send you into food heaven. 

Now when it comes to the cooking of this dish, keep in mind there are various ways in the Sindhi community to cook this but I feel my version is the simplest and is cooked in the pressure cooker. But then why is it called Sai Bhaji you must be wondering? So, in the Sindhi language 'Sai' is "green" hence the spinach and 'Bhaji' are vegetables. 

Ingredients and Cooking Process
Bunch of spinach
Some Methi leaves (Fenugreek), 1/2 tsp of dry Methi seeds (Fenugreek)
2 green chilies
Ginger garlic paste...1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
2 medium onions
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 carrot
Small piece of brinjal(optional)
A small potato
1 small cup of mix Dal...Channa Dal and green split

Soak the dal for 30 minutes
Wash the spinach properly and cut it finely.
Chop onions, tomatoes and veggies...

In a pressure cooker...add oil...2 tsp
Put cumin seeds
Crackle but don't burn them
Add ginger-garlic paste, green chilies and a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Keep the flame on medium
Now add some spinach then veggies and soaked Dal and upon all this add the remaining spinach
Don't add water
Add salt to taste, Tumeric powder, dhania powder
Give it a stir or two
Pressure cook it for 3 whistles and lower the flame for the 4th.
Switch off the gas
Let the cooker cool down 
Open and mix everything...can use a pav bhaji crusher or any heavy spoon.
At this time you can taste the salt...add if needed and add some red chilly powder.
If too watery then

Once done you can serve it with rice or chapati. I hope you can try this recipe at home and if you have any questions you can reach me on my Instagram @deliciousfooddude

#sindhifood #sindhicooking #vegan #sindhicommunity 

Comments