Lotus stem and Potato - A Sindhi Delicacy

Hey, 

I have a lot of food memories which I will be talking about here and let's face it any memories which involve food is going to be nothing but great. 

So, growing up in a Sindhi household, food actually plays a dominant part and especially in my house where I am a foodie and my mother is just an out-of-this-world cook.

Naturally, I was fed all the yumminess which was present every day and most of it was all homemade food which was taught to my mom by her mom and now I am also learning a lot of cooking from her. Coming to the food, as the title suggests Lotus stem and Potato this is a Sindhi Delicacy which to be honest is something that I hated when I was a kid. Like there was a tier list of food, the 1st tier was obviously your junk food which included pizza, pav bhaji, ice cream, chocolate, the 2nd tier belonged to meat, eggs and paneer which was the only vegetarian food I would eat with a smile on my face and finally came tier 3 wherein all the dal, sabzi and vegetables like the Lotus stem existed. I fondly remember the fuss I would create when this was made at I would just refuse to eat it and would binge on instant noodles instead. 

The one thing which my mother was very adamant about was eating vegetables even if I didn't like them for which I thank her every day. Alas, how times have changed. 

Back in 2019, I switched my diet to a vegan diet and it has done wonders to me and the going vegan story is also a good one which I will share in due time. 

If you want to see how this looks here is a post that I posted on my Instagram handle.


Lotus Stem & Potatoes - A Sindhi Delicacy




Here is the recipe:

Lotus stem was peeled and diagonally cut, boiled with a pinch of salt till it is half cooked. Once that is done strain and keep it aside and the same process for the potatoes only they were cut in chunks.

In a wok, splutter a little jeera with, 4-5 garlic cloves, 4-5 curry leaves, 1 bay leaf and 1 crushed black cardamom. Into this goes roughly chopped onions, a tablespoon of salt and cook till the onions are translucent. Once the onions are cooked, add the half-cooked lotus stem, potatoes. To this, we add our masalas, which are dhaniya powder (coriander powder), Tumeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder. Then a few broken green chilies were added to give that flavor. Stir and cook this on high flame, till all the masala's blend with the vegetables. Now we add finely chopped tomatoes, mix it and cover the wok, keep it on a very low flame and NO stirring for the next 10 mins. After 10 mins you will see the tomatoes have also cooked and blended well with the vegetables. P.S no water was used because we have used onions and tomatoes as the vegetables cook in their juices. We finish it with chopped green coriander and a pinch of black pepper as it gives a very good aroma. This can be eaten with rice or rotis.

I hope you everyone tries to make this and if you have any questions you could reach me on my instagram handle @deliciousfooddude 


Comments